It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Singles
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 pm 

I keep breaking D strings on my 6-string ABII...
Anyone know where I can buy some single D strings?

Thanks,

-ds

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:49 pm 

Sorry, can't help on the strings (but you might try juststrings.com). You shouldn't be breaking strings like that, though. Where is the string breaking? You may have a burr or a sharp edge on your saddle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:34 pm 

That's weird. Are you slapping a lot? I've never broken any strings on any of my basses, much less a D string. The above suggestion is a good place to start.

Last time I checked juststrings, they don't sell Voodoo's. I just picked up a set of DR Black Beauties for my Stingray5.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Singles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm 

Stonebone wrote:

Thanks,

-ds

That is indeed odd, I have had myAB1 5 for 5 years put on something like 1600 hours and never broken a string, and I use light guage (30-90) set with a DW B.

Where does the break usually occur?

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:23 am 

Hi Stonebone. When I first saw the tittle of your thread I thought to myself "God, are we so Dingwall-addicted that we need to found our own dating agency to cater for the singles around???" :shock: :shock: :shock: and then I read the thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

With 21 Dingwalls in my hands and 10yrs of feather soft to brutal attack playing never it occurred to me to break a string. I second the rare possibility of a sharp saddle. Do the strings break at the very same point? If yes, you have identified the area of the problem

Post subject: Sharp saddle?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:41 am 

Guys, I really dont see how it could be a sharp saddle, the saddle on an AB is formed by the top of two adjacent dome headed screws, where the string nests comfortably in the gently curving V formed by the adjacent screwheads thus negating any sharp edge as possibly on a more conventional bridge design.

The key to this mystery is, as as been reiterated several times by my esteemed Dingwall playing colleagues, to first establish where the string breaks each time.

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject: Re: Singles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Stonebone wrote:

Thanks,

-ds

Did you email me on this?

You can buy singles from us. A comparable off the shelf string would be a GHS Super-steel or Ken Smith Stainless. Pretty much any round-wound stainless string .055" gauge should do.

There are two things that I know of that consistently shorten string life.
1. Too much break angle at the saddle. In other words the saddle screws are set too high. The fix for this is to lower the saddle height which may require loosening the truss-rod or shimming the neck to compensate.

We sell tapered full contact neck shims if you need.

2. Your amp needs to be turned up. This sounds silly but if makes a huge difference. The louder your amp, the lighter you play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 pm 

Actually, my D string on my AB II 4 string broke just yesterday during a set (I've had the Dingwall around 6-8 months). The string actually started unwinding at the bridge which was new to me... I'll take a look at the above posts and see if I see any similarities. The kicker for the string breaking though... I finished the last 7 songs with a squier.