It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pacific NW owners, I could use your help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 pm 

Hey everyone.
Prospective owner here. I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and got to try out a Super J that gave me the bug for a Dingwall. My budget dictates that I look at the Combustion or ABZ line. However, I'd like to try out the longer neck and feel of these varieties of Dingwall before I make the commitment. So I was hoping that there was someone in the vicinity of Moscow, ID that had one of these and would let me drive out and plunk around on it.

Id be more than willing to bring the beer. I'm hoping that there's an owner within about 200 miles of me that could help me out. If you are interested, You can hit me up on the Talkbass forums (Same user handle).

Thanks for your time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pacific NW owners, I could use your help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:04 pm 

Curious if you were looking at the 4 or 5 string Super J? I know I saw some posts for used Super J - 4 + drop tuner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm 

I'm looking for a 5 or 6 string Combustion or Afterburner. I would not turn up my nose at a Super J 5er, but where I'm at in my life I can't justify a bass that costs more than about $1500USD.

The d-tuner is just something that I don't feel like I'd use, except to pull of the occasional Michael Manring diving harmonic. I'm much more comfortable with an extended range bass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:24 pm 

Here is the one I was thinking of, but if you're looking for a 5, not much help (and since it is more than $1500). Thought it was posted here at one point, too:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-dingwall-super-j-car-maple-732835/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:16 pm 

Mooselumps wrote:
Hey everyone.
Prospective owner here. I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and got to try out a Super J that gave me the bug for a Dingwall. My budget dictates that I look at the Combustion or ABZ line. However, I'd like to try out the longer neck and feel of these varieties of Dingwall before I make the commitment. So I was hoping that there was someone in the vicinity of Moscow, ID that had one of these and would let me drive out and plunk around on it.

Id be more than willing to bring the beer. I'm hoping that there's an owner within about 200 miles of me that could help me out. If you are interested, You can hit me up on the Talkbass forums (Same user handle).

Thanks for your time.

I'm a ways outside of that 200 mile range but the weather is starting to get nice in Kelowna now. You would be more than welcome to come try mine out anytime. If that works for you I could probably arrange a mini jam session for you at our practice place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 pm 

Hi Mooselumps!
I'm in Pullman, and just got off the phone with Bass Northwest to grab a natural ABZ they have coming in. It should be here next week, and you'd be more than welcome to try it, as well as any of my other beloved Dingwalls. Sending PM...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:16 pm 

I'll keep you guys posted on GTG's in the Columbia River Gorge, Portland, OR area. We do at least one or two a year.

I don't know if any of you hit the last Boise GTG that was on TB. Word is Michael Mannring showed up and played, and demo'ed one of Duke LeJune's cabs.

The Seattle crowd is pretty active with GTG's as well.

I love taking the Dingwalls to GTG's and watching people circle cautiously around the Whalepool AB-1 six string.

I also bring fEarful cabs.

Mooselumps, let us know how the try out goes. I called all over the Portland area looking for a Dingwall to try, and ended up taking the leap without ever touching one. Best move ever. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:00 pm 

I was at that Boise get together, and Michael is a great guy. Duke's cab was unreal. Seeing a Manring show live is way better than an album or youtube, I highly recommend it.

I'm hoping Michael orders some of Duke's cabs, his sound was huge through those.

I'll post an update.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm 

No try-out update from Mooselumps yet, I see; this no doubt due to his end-of-semester academic workload. In the meantime I'll fill the dead air with some background narrative.

First off, herewith a most cordial welcome to M, both to the forum, and hopefully soon, to the society of Dingwall Devotees at large. Meeting him and spending with him and his girlfriend Saturday night was a great pleasure, and one I hope others of you will have on some future occasion.

We met up at midnight at the local movie theater, a virtually soundproof ARXX building on the outskirts of town and far from any residential areas. This choice of venue was made out of concern for noise complaints that might have arisen from conducting the demo at either of our homes, since I wanted him to be able to play at any volume he wanted, and/or that his amp(s) could muster--quite understandably, he wanted to try the Dingwalls with his own equipment. I invited him to bring his entire live rig if he wished, and offered the prospect of rocking the house the whole night without having to worry about disturbing anyone, but in the end, reason and practicality prevailed, and he brought just one amp and one cab. The former was a Carvin BX-500, a sweet-sounding ultra-light Class D, tube-equipped unit that's also an insanely good value for its price; the latter was a Carvin LSx1503, a PA cab which has gotten quite an enthusiastic following among bass players for its clean, hi-fi sound. I brought along my own TC RH450/RS210 half-stack just in case, but it ended up staying muted the whole time and serving as a tuning station; it might have been a bit too "Ampeggy" for M's tastes anyway. Contrary to earlier expectations, volume stayed moderate throughout the session, so as to best be able to appreciate the Dingwalls' tonal nuances, and the differences in same among the various instruments on test.

Pursuant to the model interests he mentioned above, these were my:

!. new natural ash ABZ-5, also mentioned above, and pictured in the Recently Shipped section, to Bass Northwest.
2. natural flame-top ABI-5
3. Vintageburst burl maple-top, bubinga-neck ABII-5
4. ABII-6 in the same finish
5 black/maple SJ-5 "Geddy Special"

I don't own a Combustion (yet... :mrgreen: ), so I was unable to offer M the opportunity to try one. My goals with the basses listed were for him to be able to:

A. try, and compare, a 5-string example of each of the models in the Afterburner line
B. experience the magic of an ABII-6
C. try/compare all of these with both the shorter-scale SJ-5 and his customized, Nordstrand-loaded J-type bass he brought along for reference
D. do the preceding for as long as he wanted without any pressures, distractions, or time constraints other than that night's need for sleep

And now it's time for me to cede the floor to the man himself so he can report on his recent Dingwall experience. Cheers all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, very cool of you triple-f. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 pm 

You're most welcome, sir; my greatest pleasure. Thank you for making the basses that inspire this kind of passion in all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am 

I'm in Beaverton, Oregon and would love to try out a Dingwall if anyone winds up in the area.

There's an authorized dealer not too far from here, I just need to make time to get over there. It's hard when you don't have a car. :\

These basses have me so intrigued.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:47 am 

Review long overdue, but with work picking up and finals... My family might have filed a missing persons report...

Anyway, I met win FFF bass and had a blast. I have been bitten by the Dingwall bug, and now i just need to get my act together and get some funds scraped up. I was surprised by the maple/ash ABZ... That may very well be my first step. the 6er AB2 blew my mind, although It would be cool to me to find one that had a 17-16.5MM spacing. Or I could just man up ;)

All in all, I was very lucky to get to play the beautiful instruments that I did, and I'm hooked on a 37" b.

Thanks everyone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm 

Mooselumps....that has to be the coolest handle in Bassforumdom, ever.

Good luck with your Dingwall quest. Too bad you can't make it to BassNW to check out their Dingwall stock.

Mark

-Voodoo Zebra Artist-6 #3006
-Z3-#4044
-SuperJ-4 prototype#3819
-Afterburner I-5 prototype#3733
-CAG Combustion#00273
-Custom ABI-4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:47 pm 

Still would love to try one of these, but Eugene is a long drive (and I don't have a car).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm 

Say Mooselumps, don't you have an announcement for us? C'mon, man; finish the story and don't leave us hanging....