It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Stacked pots on an ABII
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

Hi Sheldon,

Just wondering if you had experience with people wanting stacked volume pots on their ABII. Is that a relatively easy possibility? I would love to be able to control my pickups separately.

Thanks!

Tacoma Thunderchief Acoustic BG
Roland VB-99 w/GK-3B

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stacked pots on an ABII
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

We don't have the ability to make a matching ring knob for a concentric pot. For this reason we don't have any experience in this area. The simplest thing to do would be to replace the rotary switch with a bridge pickup volume. Next would be a blend but blends don't work very well with passive pickups.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
We don't have the ability to make a matching ring knob for a concentric pot. For this reason we don't have any experience in this area. The simplest thing to do would be to replace the rotary switch with a bridge pickup volume. Next would be a blend but blends don't work very well with passive pickups.

Thanks Sheldon, but I'm a bit confused about the passive pickups. Do you mean since they are upstream of the preamp the balance would be passive? And by not working well, does that mean the blend loses some of the tone?

Roland VB-99 w/GK-3B

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes and yes. Passive blends don't/can't ever fade between pickups 100% smoothly. They also affect the high frequencies and output slightly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
Yes and yes. Passive blends don't/can't ever fade between pickups 100% smoothly. They also affect the high frequencies and output slightly.

SO it looks like my only real choice is separate vols. The stacked volumes are tempting, but the knobs would be uglier than what's on there.

Aesthetic beauty isn't everything, but since I'm playing the most beautiful bass I've ever even seen, it'd be a shame to ugly it up, even a little.

Thanks for your support on this.

Roland VB-99 w/GK-3B

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Admin

I should mention that Vol/vol doesn't blend that well in passive either but it damps the tone and volume less than a blend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
I should mention that Vol/vol doesn't blend that well in passive either but it damps the tone and volume less than a blend.

Could you elaborate on that, please? In what way do they not work well? Also, aren't these active pickups? Pardon my ignorance.

Roland VB-99 w/GK-3B

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

All of our pickups are passive. That's the only way you can have a passive option if you have a pre-amp.

Passive volume controls usually don't have a really smooth taper. Volume/volume controls tend to have all of the taper towards at one end or the other. It varies with pot resistance, taper, pickup inductance and resistance.

Lot's of guys use passive blends and passive volume/volume controls - us included, they just don't blend as smoothly as an active system.

In the early days we used buffered inputs before the blend which smoothed the blending but meant that there was no passive option should there be a problem with the pre-amp or battery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
All of our pickups are passive. That's the only way you can have a passive option if you have a pre-amp.

Passive volume controls usually don't have a really smooth taper. Volume/volume controls tend to have all of the taper towards at one end or the other. It varies with pot resistance, taper, pickup inductance and resistance.

Lot's of guys use passive blends and passive volume/volume controls - us included, they just don't blend as smoothly as an active system.

In the early days we used buffered inputs before the blend which smoothed the blending but meant that there was no passive option should there be a problem with the pre-amp or battery.

Thanks, Sheldon. Sounds like separate volumes will be the way to go, for me at least.

Roland VB-99 w/GK-3B

Profile E-mail