It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Newly designed StrapLoks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:21 pm 

Sheldon,

Have you ever thought of designing your own brand of strap locks?
The strap pins on my ABII are exactly the same as on my old Peavey Bass. They work fine but there have been a few times where I barely caught my bass just before it hit the stage floor.

If not, can the extral long screws from your strap pins be used to mount the "Schaller" Straploks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:22 am 

Hi TB-
I too am a schaller -user and i had sheldon factory install schallers on both my custom basses.
Unfortunately the longer screw he uses does not fit in the scaller hole. However i think its a moot point, the hardwood sheldon uses to fill the hole is more than suffcient. Neither of my basses has shown any indication of having that lock move.
While I think letting him reinvent the wheel would be cool (becuase i know he'd do a better job at making a better working pin), many of us have set preference.

SuperJ prototype#001,
AB1-#042, AB1-Fretless, ABZ-XXX-4 string
=>Thunderfunk 550B->AccugrooveTri210L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:25 am 

I put Dunlops on the Super J with no problem. I used the Dunlop screws.

I think it was Sheldon who said that because there is no industry standard - he preferred leaving them off and allowing the consumer to install his/her own. I agree. I have the same type on all my basses - so my straps are completely interchangeable. (No, groovaholic - not OCD!)

Eggman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:48 am 

I put the Schallers on my ABII. I used the Schaller screws, as the ones that came on the ABII had a head that was too big to sit flush in the Schaller part.

The screw tightened up real well, didn't strip the wood, and shows no signs of slipping.

Post subject: Straplock Screws
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:07 am 

I use Schaller straplocks and had to search for a screw that was the same size as the original that Sheldon used, but had a smaller head. Fortunately, they make trim-head screws for installing decks.

I found some trim-head screws in stainless steel with a good aggressive thread and retrofitted ALL of my basses to use them. They are a little too big to fit through the Schaller button easily, so I wrap a piece of leater around them, grab them with pliers, and then drive the screw through. The stainless steel taps its own threads into the softer brass strap button.

None of my strap buttons has ever come loose and it's been about 18 months since I installed these.

John

Post subject: Re: Straplock Screws
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Admin

groovaholic wrote:
I use Schaller straplocks and had to search for a screw that was the same size as the original that Sheldon used, but had a smaller head. Fortunately, they make trim-head screws for installing decks.

I found some trim-head screws in stainless steel with a good aggressive thread and retrofitted ALL of my basses to use them. They are a little too big to fit through the Schaller button easily, so I wrap a piece of leater around them, grab them with pliers, and then drive the screw through. The stainless steel taps its own threads into the softer brass strap button.

None of my strap buttons has ever come loose and it's been about 18 months since I installed these.

John

Hey, care to email me a photo of those screws?

Have you ever thought of designing your own brand of strap locks?

I've thought about it from time to time, but nothing yet. Currently we are designing and learning to manufacture our own knobs. Are thinking of cases next.

For those who have access to a drill and a grinder, here's how we modify the existing screws. If you have access to some gun blue, it would be best to treat the edges of the screws with that. If not, rub on a little wax to prevent rust.

Attachments:
Grinding down screw head.JPG
Grinding down screw head.JPG [ 113.18 KiB | Viewed 10095 times ]
Finished screw head.JPG
Finished screw head.JPG [ 57.01 KiB | Viewed 10095 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:58 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
Currently we are designing and learning to manufacture our own knobs.

I've been looking for metal knobs for my ABII5. I haven't found any that look quite right yet but I like them more than the plastic ones. I'll be very interested to see the design of the new knobs when they're ready.

I also like the idea of the passive high cut. I'd like to get that when it's offered, too.

Post subject: StrapLock Screws
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:10 am 

I e-mailed these pictures to Sheldon, but these are the screws I use with my Schaller straplocks.

The threads are the same size as on the original Dingwall screws, but the heads are quite a bit smaller and fit down into the Schalller pin.

John

Attachments:
P1010330.JPG
P1010330.JPG [ 176.12 KiB | Viewed 10016 times ]
P1010329.JPG
P1010329.JPG [ 171.07 KiB | Viewed 10016 times ]
File comment: Here are some pics of the screws I mentioned.
P1010328.JPG
P1010328.JPG [ 179.25 KiB | Viewed 10016 times ]

Post subject: Drilling Schallers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 pm 

Hi Folks

I fitted Schallers to my AB1-5, I used the original DW screws and just drilled out the Schaller stud to accept them. They work great and have never come loose.

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:42 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
... Currently we are designing and learning to manufacture our own knobs....

Sheldon - If you are designing your own knobs, PLEASE put readable markers of some kind on them, especially markers on the side that are visible while playing the bass. It really helps to see where all the preamp settings are at a glance when playing live.

I've been considering replacing my ABII black knobs with the ones that Digitech puts on their stomp boxes. From what I can tell, they are identical to the Dingwall knobs, except have a nice white line on top and all the way down the side. You can't see the side line in this picture, but here is a typical stompbox with these knobs:

http://www.digitech.com/products/BassDriver.htm

Z1 5-string #3307,
Afterburner II 5-string #3678
and a ridiculous amount of equipment
to reproduce the "Voice of God"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

jlaplante wrote:
Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
... Currently we are designing and learning to manufacture our own knobs....

Sheldon - If you are designing your own knobs, PLEASE put readable markers of some kind on them, especially markers on the side that are visible while playing the bass. It really helps to see where all the preamp settings are at a glance when playing live.

I've been considering replacing my ABII black knobs with the ones that Digitech puts on their stomp boxes. From what I can tell, they are identical to the Dingwall knobs, except have a nice white line on top and all the way down the side. You can't see the side line in this picture, but here is a typical stompbox with these knobs:

http://www.digitech.com/products/BassDriver.htm

At this point the marker is on the top only, but on all knobs not just the rotary switch. I'm going to re-do the master for the AB/Prima/Z version and mold another prototype before posting any photos.

I like those Digitech knobs. They look like they are 15mm diameter which is too small for guitar size pots. I've looked pretty hare and have not seen that style in the larger sizes except if you order several thousand of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:13 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
I like those Digitech knobs. They look like they are 15mm diameter which is too small for guitar size pots.

Sheldon - I just noticed that the knobs on my Gallien-Krueger 1001RB are the same style too, if that is any help. The size is just slightly smaller than the ABII knobs. They are hard rubber, and push onto knurled pot shafts which look like standard size, but I'm not sure.

Z1 5-string #3307,
Afterburner II 5-string #3678
and a ridiculous amount of equipment
to reproduce the "Voice of God"

Post subject: Re: StrapLock Screws
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:32 pm 

groovaholic wrote:
I e-mailed these pictures to Sheldon, but these are the screws I use with my Schaller straplocks.

The threads are the same size as on the original Dingwall screws, but the heads are quite a bit smaller and fit down into the Schalller pin.

John

Are Robertson screws very common in the U.S.? I thought they were just used in Canada.

Post subject: Drilling Schallers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:58 pm 

Quote:
Hi Folks

I fitted Schallers to my AB1-5, I used the original DW screws and just drilled out the Schaller stud to accept them. They work great and have never come loose.

N

Hi Folks had one or two enquiries about this. I drilled the stud out to fit the DW screw, as it is recessed it did not interfere with the functionality of the pin in the strap part of the strap lock. I have included some pics that may help.

N

Attachments:
Stud fitted to DW.jpg
Stud fitted to DW.jpg [ 29.21 KiB | Viewed 9979 times ]
DWscrew and drilled stud.jpg
DWscrew and drilled stud.jpg [ 44.25 KiB | Viewed 9979 times ]

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:56 pm 

jlaplante wrote:
Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
I like those Digitech knobs. They look like they are 15mm diameter which is too small for guitar size pots.

Sheldon - I just noticed that the knobs on my Gallien-Krueger 1001RB are the same style too, if that is any help. The size is just slightly smaller than the ABII knobs. They are hard rubber, and push onto knurled pot shafts which look like standard size, but I'm not sure.

The knobs on my T-funk are very similar, and are also rubber. the white marker line is raised on the top of the knob as well as the side, so you could easily tell where the setting is just by tactile response. They have a nice feel to them!

Joe

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:24 pm 

The pickup selector on my ABI doesn't even have the white line on it, just a small indented dot on the face with no paint. It's the only one I've seen like this. A collector's item?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Smallmouth_Bass wrote:
The pickup selector on my ABI doesn't even have the white line on it, just a small indented dot on the face with no paint. It's the only one I've seen like this. A collector's item?

We tried some with indents and some with paint in the indents. How visible is the indent on stage? Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:10 pm 

Another idea I thought would be useful: How about using those pots with the micro-fine "clicks" as they rotate. Used for volume and tone, you could make settings even on a dark stage, eg. "I need to roll tone all the way off, then back on 10 clicks to start this next song."

I think that tactile feedback together with the lined knobs would be just the ticket.

- Cliff Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:06 pm 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
We tried some with indents and some with paint in the indents. How visible is the indent on stage? Any comments?

You can see the one with the line better, but I generally go by feel. I tend to use the neck pickup and both pickups setting next to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:14 pm 

So, I finally went out to get some more screws for my strap pins today for some "other" basses that tend to become stripped. I brought along a screw that came on my Afterburner. For the life of me, I couldn't find a wood screw with a Philips head, an as aggressive thread pitch and threaded all the way to the head until I asked. As it turns out, they are drywall screws. 6 x 1 1/4 to be exact (No. 2 drywall). Under $3 for a box of 100.