It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Will DR LongNecks work?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:33 pm 

On an AB1-5? I wrote to them and they said they have a 40" wound length. They have a taper core and are made for Laklands & Modulus. I wonder if the taper is too far into the string from the bridge because Lakes have a string thru body.

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Dr's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:52 pm 

Hi

I'm no too sure what prompted your question but I use DR highbeams in the XLR 30-90 set. They fit perfectly, I use a dingwall B but the DR XLR 125 will fit fine as well. Any guage DR XLR set will fit your AB1-5 perfectly.

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:18 am 

If the DR XLRs will fit, how about the DR Low Riders? Are they the same lengths?

custom passive AB 2

Post subject: Lowriders
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 pm 

Yup, lowriders are plenty long enough for your Dingwall for 4 string standard set, I havent tried a 5 string set as I use a Dingwall B but my guess is that the the lowrider B would be good too. (thats a guess, check with your dealer to see if I'm right). The Lowriders are noticeable stiffer than the highbeams (too stiff for my tastes) but sound great, both of these string types from DR last a very long time.

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:21 am 

Hey Nic DB, where do you get your Dingwall B strings? I'm assuming you buy them as singles. And, I have a Lakland 5594 that I put DR Longnecks on. The Longnecks DO have a very long section of string past the taper at the ball-end of the string, probably around 3 inches. I wouldn't and haven't tried putting them on my Dinger for this reason. I just ordered some Dingwall strings and some DR longnecks from Bass Central in Florida. Their Dingwall 5 string sets are supposed to be $45, but they honored the website price of $35. That will not last long!! They'll get that corrected in a hurry.

Post subject: Dr's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:02 pm 

JEDI BASS TRICKS wrote:
Hey Nic DB, where do you get your Dingwall B strings? I'm assuming you buy them as singles. And, I have a Lakland 5594 that I put DR Longnecks on. The Longnecks DO have a very long section of string past the taper at the ball-end of the string, probably around 3 inches. I wouldn't and haven't tried putting them on my Dinger for this reason. I just ordered some Dingwall strings and some DR longnecks from Bass Central in Florida. Their Dingwall 5 string sets are supposed to be $45, but they honored the website price of $35. That will not last long!! They'll get that corrected in a hurry.

Sorry for the very delayed reply.......I order my Dingwall B strings in packs of five from my local Dingwall dealer, (Axe Music Calgary). They dont come in official packs of five which is apparent from the various different wrapping they come in; ziplocks, ceran wrap, freezer bag ties etc...but who cares they do the job!

N

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

The step is too long on the Long Necks. You'll wind up with intonation problems. I assume they are meant for string through body bridges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:37 am 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
The step is too long on the Long Necks. You'll wind up with intonation problems. I assume they are meant for string through body bridges.

Saw this first hand the other day when I received my used AB-I 6er. I use DR longnecks on my Lakland and recognized them immediately on the AB, they have a pretty distinct design and wrap pattern. Anyways, I checked the intonation and there was definite issues. Not to mention the fact that the narrow (over-the-bridge) portion of the string was so long that I found myself plucking notes on the thin sections, which sounded BAD.

I've now installed a set of GHS Boomers M3045X Long Scale plus w/ the matching .136 B (DYB136) fom juststrings and a C I had laying around. I had to trim the silk on the B, but it fit. They sound great, but are tighter than DWs.