It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Payson groundwounds
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:32 pm 

Just got a set of these and installed them on my AB IV. VERY VERY happy with them. I've tried d'addarrio groundwounds in the past, on other basses and disliked them--they seemed to combine the worst of both worlds. These are different--they have a fat, percussive initial note and more sustain than ronds, and a lot of growl. Very impressed. I don't have any gigs for a while--all my gigs have been on upright lately. But I can't see how this isn't going to be a great tone. very present, lots of fundamental. Verrry cool.

I might like a slightly fatter G string, with a little more beef to it. But maybe not--this is a great string set. It's stiffer than what I had on there before (payson nickels) and I had to tweak the truss rod a little.; If your tastes lean a little more towards flats, these sound great

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Payson groundwounds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm 

Sweet pb+j. I'm glad you're diggin' 'em.

I did all my prototype testing on my '07 ABII-5 w/a MII and an FD3 w/a Bubinga neck, which is now gutted as I patiently wait to buy the new P-Tone pu's.

I installed the production PFGWFlat's on my '05 Jatoba necked Big Singles loaded ABII-5. I found I needed a slight tightening of the TR to get the action lower. Didn't even have to touch the saddles.

I didn't have a chance to really put some serious time on them until Tues in which they really started to break in very nicely. They'll start to loosen up just a little.

At the end of the sustain there's strong harmonic which is weird/cool because the attack and bloom is all about fundamental.

Another thing that is important that some players overlook when changing strings: After you've brought the string up to pitch make sure you push down on the string at the saddle with your thumb so it has a sharp break angle. You don't want a lazy arc going over the saddle.

Also at the nut I push down on either side of the nut with my thumbs on the string. Again you want nice direct straight paths to the tuner post from the nut.

Both of these steps also helped to lower the action even further. It also feels better in the 1st position if you take the time to push on the strings at the nut. It keeps the tension from feeling artificially tense.

When you look closely at the PFGWF's, they really appear to be a true flat. These have a pure nickle outer winding so they polish up much smoother than say a GW SS flat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:42 pm 

I got around to putting the groundwounds on the AB-1 today. The groundwound set went on with no problems. They replaced a still very fresh and lively set of Payson nickel roundwounds, so there was no need to make any adjustments in set up.

Now that both sets are cut and fitted, they can be swapped out in just a few minutes: NICE! The spare set stays in the case.

First impressions are great. They have a meaty thunk and nice warm sound. The tension and feel, other than the wrap, are the same for both sets. The AB-1 has the P tone pup installed so with the tone rolled off a bit, I got the Stax records sound no problem.

Cool finger funk with reduced string noise, and they have a pretty cool slap tone as well.

I'm very pleased. Nice job Payson!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:43 pm 

Thank you Singlemalt. I've found the G string has some really nice snap, enough to slap, also clear for chords.

Tonight is the 1st time I've listened to these strings through my SL900 using headphones only, cabs disconnected. Without the cabs to "color" the sound they really took on an even more true flats type tone. Interesting to note.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 pm 

singlemalt wrote:
I got around to putting the groundwounds on the AB-1 today. The groundwound set went on with no problems. They replaced a still very fresh and lively set of Payson nickel roundwounds, so there was no need to make any adjustments in set up.

Now that both sets are cut and fitted, they can be swapped out in just a few minutes: NICE! The spare set stays in the case.

First impressions are great. They have a meaty thunk and nice warm sound. The tension and feel, other than the wrap, are the same for both sets. The AB-1 has the P tone pup installed so with the tone rolled off a bit, I got the Stax records sound no problem.

Cool finger funk with reduced string noise, and they have a pretty cool slap tone as well.

I'm very pleased. Nice job Payson!

can you provide some compare/contrast color on the grounds vs the nickel? i'm about to pull the trigger and i'm still on the fence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

Get both. They set up the same, once cut and wound, you can quickly switch back and forth.

I like both sets in the case with the AB 5. I have the nickel rounds on the sixer, and rounds on everything except the AB 5, so having the grounds is a nice change up.

With the P tone pup and the grounds the feel is smooth and the sound is more old school, less zip and zing, more solid fundamental.

I've been playing the SJ 4 the last few months with DR Hellborgs, and I'm about ready to throw on some TI jazz flats to move even more towards the retro, woody sound.

Having both sets gives you the best of all worlds.

I kind of on the fence my self, if you hadn't guessed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm 

My "new" Super P/J came with flat wounds and I love it. Go for it - you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 am 

I really like the TI jazz flats, I used them on my Fender jazz before the Dingwall Super PJ 4 arrived. The Dingwall arrived with a nice set of TI's.

I really like the low tension of the TI's and tuned down they get very slinky. Problem is, I get very lazy with my technique, and a return to rounds is noisy.

The Infeld super long superalloys fit Dingwalls and they were a nice surprise on the sixer.

So many strings, so little time and cash.

Payson is super easy to deal with, You'll be pleased with whatever you get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 am 

Just want to say how pleased I am with the set of Payson groundwounds I just received - I am new to Dingwall guitars (and this forum) but fell in love with a Combustion 5er and had to have it about a month ago . . . been playing the strings it shipped with, and think they sound great, but have always been partial to flats. So, it was great to find out about the Payson line of strings made specifically for fanned fret basses.
Just put them on yesterday (they fit perfectly, of course) and went to rehearsal. I'm currently playing through a Eden WT-405 head into a sealed 2X15. I would also typically run a 2X10 in parallel for a little more definition (Or would in theory, but haven't tried this setup yet, as the 2X10 needs to be re-coned, and I just acquired the 2X15 . . .) Anyway, the flats sounded so great to my ears, felt great in my hands, and just made me generally feel good about life, the universe, the state of the economy, and my purpose in being here 8)

And that low B string . . . I am just . . . wow. What an instrument.

So, thanks. I'm heading to CT next week to play a series of shows with the Christopher Robin Band, and backline will be provided. No idea what that's gonna look like, but I feel confident that whatever the situation, my Dingwall will prevail!

Profile E-mail