It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Praise: Dingwall Voodoo Stanless Steel Strings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:27 pm 

You know guys these strings are the ultimate, I call them the everlasting zing strings.

Check this out...

My bass was finished (according to Sheldon) on Dec 10th, 2009, no idea when it arrived in the London store where I've bought it new on August 13th 2010, however that's 8 months with the same set of strings, god knows how many greasy kids tried that bass before I got it, the store told me these were the original strings. I then played the bass every day ever since for a further month before they started to sound really dull, and on Sept 18th I have fitted the current set I have on. In conclusion the original set lasted about 9 months.

Bear in mind, I don't sweath my palms or fingers at all, and I clean my strings every time I put the bass away. Now it's Nov 23rd and the strings are still as zingy as new. They are amazing!!

People might be interested in coated, neon, black or polka dots, but to me these strings are the best for the Dingwall basses, and that is why they are worth this praise.

3 cheers for Dingwall Voodoo Stainless Strings!!!

Last edited by Grand Wazoo on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Praise: Dingwall Voodoo Stanless Steel Strings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 pm 

So you changed the strings on Sept 18th?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:33 pm 

NaH wrote:
So you changed the strings on Sept 18th?

Yes, I realize I need to fix that post so it's clear, I've changed the ones that came with the bass on Sept 18th, they were on the bass since Sheldon & Co. completed it and shipped it to UK.

Last edited by Grand Wazoo on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:34 pm 

I still have my original strings that came on my SJ5 (DR Lowriders), which still sound good. I bought mine in August 2008 and it has been my main player since. Okay, I don't play as much as I'd like, but still impressive!

The Voodoos last long too. I'm on my 2nd set on my ABI, bought in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 pm 

I like Sheldon's strings a lot. I rotate through two sets at once per bass. One set on the bass, the other soaking in denatured alcohol until I need to switch them out. I've been running on my Voodooooozeeebra for over 2 years with the same two sets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:59 am 

BurningSkies wrote:
I like Sheldon's strings a lot. I rotate through two sets at once per bass. One set on the bass, the other soaking in denatured alcohol until I need to switch them out. I've been running on my Voodooooozeeebra for over 2 years with the same two sets.

I am reading this post with some degree of uncertainty, I have been in this game for many many years and I once met James How (RIP) former owner of the Rotosound Strings company at a music show and was able to ask him a few questions about strings, construction methods, and their longevity, I have learnt from him that once a set of strings has "had it" there's no method you could use to refurbish them. Yes you can keep them in a denaturated alcohol solution to remove the grime and sweath from within the core to the wrappings but what you could never do is repair the damage done to the strings by fretting, slapping, and the effect caused by extended tension whereby the core and the wrapping loose their round shape turning the string into and oval or elliptical shape. Now when that occurrs the harmonic response of a string is no longer accurate, a fret scored or oval string will no longer ring like it should hence tuning and pitch will never be accurate again, if you accept this then you will see that "washing" the strings would be only a short term solution, that might well give you a similar sound to that of a fresh string but not for very long and I believe tuning would give an inaccurate pitch not on an open string but fretted.

I can't believe how people like Ed Friedland to name one, say they play a Precision with a 10 years old set of LaBella flats to get that James Jamerson vibe, it's begger's belief as to how his strings hold tuning after such a long time. Strings are consumable like... oil in your engine or your brake pads, you just can't run them past their worn stage.

Sheldon what is your view on worn strings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:48 am 

I can only guess, but it doesn't feel right that old strings begin to intonate badly. Maybe if they were worn only in the lower positions, making the string vibrate differently when fretted up high or something; but a string that has been stretched is stretched consistently through it's length, and therefore should vibrate consistently although differently. It could easily be that worn strings require a different intonation setup compared to the same set of fresh strings (I would be surprised if otherwise), but that old strings cannot intonate at all?

That said, I'm a kid who likes to theorize. Some people like them 1+ years old, I cannot relate to that. I've done the denatured alcohol method on Dingwall strings a few times, and the old worn feel remains; you get only some short-term zing. Worn strings lose some flexibility or something that just cannot be brought back. I love the feel of fresh strings, but some people might like them worn, they are still usable although different.

Last edited by Bocete on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:10 am 

It makes sense to me that used strings will never be the same. I work in a fab shop with aluminum and steel and I know for a fact that metals stretch and deform and the properties change. Whether they deform to the degree Grand Wazoo is saying, I do not know, but his statement of "consumable parts like engine oil" makes perfect sense. Ya you can filter used oil, but its properties will never be anything close to what it was new.

I put new strings on every time. I busted a string, so I changed the whole set. That first set lasted me 6 months. Its not worth my time or effort (or money) to reuse strings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:25 pm 

Grand Wazoo wrote:
BurningSkies wrote:
I can't believe how people like Ed Friedland to name one, say they play a Precision with a 10 years old set of LaBella flats to get that James Jamerson vibe, it's begger's belief as to how his strings hold tuning after such a long time.

I don't doubt that you can get a Jamerson vibe out of an old set of flatwound strings because that's what Jamerson used. Maybe flats can last longer due to the thicker outer wraps.

There are likely a lot of other variables involved too, like how hard you fret, how corrosive your sweat is and the quality and type of materials used. I am fortunate in that my strings (regardless of brand) tend to last long.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 pm 

Lucky you, Grand Wazoo.

My experience:
After 3 months the Voodoos are almost dead.
Playing time: 5-6 hours a week, only practising and rehearsal, no gigs.

The DR LoRiders on my other basses last much longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 am 

I read a while back the "Family Man" Barrett has strings on his bass that are over 30 years old.

Mark

-Voodoo Zebra Artist-6 #3006
-Z3-#4044
-SuperJ-4 prototype#3819
-Afterburner I-5 prototype#3733
-CAG Combustion#00273
-Custom ABI-4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:33 am 

guitarded wrote:
I read a while back the "Family Man" Barrett has strings on his bass that are over 30 years old.

Mark

Knowing quite a few guys in the reggae scene, I can say that this is not rare. I actually prefer newer livelier strings. A friend of mine who's a professional touring reggae/rock steady performer uses vintage Vox basses when using electric, and many of his have the original strings. I think they feel awful.

GW: I've been in 'the game' for over 25 years now myself, and while no solution to cleaning strings will EVER bring them back to 100% new, soaking in denatured alcohol removes ALL the grime, oil, dirt without introducing H2O to the wraps. I find that what you get is about 90% of the new string sound, which is really where I like it anyway. Given that strings under tension eventually lose their spring (metal fatigue sets in) which is what gives any difference. Over the years I've worked a lighter and lighter touch, so flatspots or other imperfections due to clamping down on the frets doesn't happen to an appreciable extent. I've checked the intonation on older strings by strobe and found that the change is so minimal as not to be noticed in a live setting and while recording in the studio have never had a tuning complaint. Of course guys who play hard and aggressive are going to have more metal fatigue and those strings are going to reach their 'mechanical' dead point a LOT quicker than I will. All said and done, after 2 years of rotating 2 sets of strings, they ARE ready to be switched for new. It amounts to getting a year's worth of use from a set...which when dealing with a very specific and not locally available commodity is quite alright for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:36 am 

I am really interested to know if anyone has any thoughts around using Methyl Hydrate for string cleaning rather than Alchols.
Reason is - its way cheaper, and has a higher % purity usually than most alcohols?

any comments? damage issues to strings/bass? (residue?) etc

would appreciate the feedback
jf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:56 am 

jf wrote:
I am really interested to know if anyone has any thoughts around using Methyl Hydrate for string cleaning rather than Alchols.
Reason is - its way cheaper, and has a higher % purity usually than most alcohols?

any comments? damage issues to strings/bass? (residue?) etc

would appreciate the feedback
jf

Methyl Hydrate and denatured alcohol or methyl alcohol are basically the same thing with a different name. You definitely want to stay away from any isopropyl alcohol, which is largely water.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:37 am 

I have to admit that Dingwall SS strings feel and sound amazing. I was pretty much sold on DRs before I purchased my ABZ, but once I put a new set of DW strings when my band started recording our 2nd album...man I was shocked. Lots and lots of clarity, great low end and harmonics.

The only problem I have is (well, that's with all strings) that I live in the capital of Peru and the humidity here is like 90% all year long, so my strings begin to rust pretty quickly. The fact that I have sweaty hands doesn't help much either :( .

Nevertheless, the set I currently have on my bass is like 2-2 1/2 months old and it still sounds great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:10 pm 

Have to say - I went on this odessey - looking for 'other' strings for my Z3. Tried a bunch of different types (mostly nickel wrap). Went back to Dingwall SS - and it all came together. They have the feel, the tension, the right guage, stiffness, tone, sustain. Home again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 am 

Methyl hydrate is also called methanol or methyl alcohol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 am 

Rubbing alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) and some water and other stuff to make it good for rubbing.
You can get 99% pure Isopropyl alcohol in most drugstores off the shelf.
Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is the only drinkable type, but any of these (when not diluted with much water) are great for cleaning strings but, as mentioned above, will not help the dented strings after lots of use.

Profile E-mail