It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Strings for Super J / Super P
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:06 am 

Hello all, first time poster here on the forum. I recently traded a Combustion (and cash) for a Super J, and I'm absolutely delighted. The 32-35" scale just suits my smaller hands a lot better than the 34-37" scale did. Like it so much that I now also have a similarly coloured Super P on the way...

Wanted to find out what strings people are using on their Super Js and Ps. I know the Dingwall medium-scale strings are very highly regarded, but I have always used coated strings due to my particular skin chemistry which kills strings pretty quickly. I know it's a lot easier to get strings for these Dingwalls vs the longer-scale ones, but it would be good to draw on the experiences and experiments of those who have owned them for a while.

I'm looking at the Elixir Stainless Nanowebs at the moment, but am wondering how the string tension and balance will work out with the fan.

EA Wizzy 10 - Epifani UL310 MkI

Post subject: Re: Strings for Super J / Super P
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:58 pm 

I've got Thomas Infeld Jazz Flats on my PJ and I love it. Very smooth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:59 pm 

My early model SuperJ5 came with DR Low Riders. I still use them and they sound and feel fine to me, however my strings last for a long time. I am on my third set in eight years and I could have probably made them go longer.

My SuperP5 is currently sporting TI Flats, which are great sounding low tension flats. Before that, it had the standard Dingwall roundwound set that sounded good.

I have very little experience with coated strings. I tried some DR Neons on another bass and they sounded fine, but had a weird rubbery feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 pm 

Two votes for the TI flats! I think the seller of the Super P has Chromes on them, I imagine the TIs have much lower tension than the Chromes. In fact I think I lay even have a five-string set somewhere...

EA Wizzy 10 - Epifani UL310 MkI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm 

I have a couple sets of TI flats for my Super J 5, B-G and E-C. TI flats are my all time favorite. The TI's fit the five string Super series, but require some fiddling with setup, namely some shorter saddle screws, since the whopping .136 B string, and the E strings are not tapered at the ball end.

Before I cut up a set of TI's for E-C, I wanted to test out the E-C idea with a less expensive set of strings. On a whim I bought a set of DR Pure Blues, 105-45, with a 30 C string. The outer wrap and feel is very similar to DR's nickel low riders, but the tension is lower and the feel is softer and slinkier. I ended up with the lowest set up ever and I'm really happy with the strings. I even ground the saddle screws off shorter to test the limit of low. With the DR pure blues the neck relaxed to almost dead flat.

I just bought a 100-40 set with the same 30 C string, can't wait to set these up. I might be pushing the limit on the nut, but we'll see. I really like these strings. I'm back on a nickel round wound kick.

Previously, on the Super J ive used: nickel lowriders, Hellborgs ( with a Dingwall B), Dingwall nickels, sunbeams, and the TI's. You get lots of string choices with the Super series.