It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: DW:Why only one guage choice? And what's up with the D?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:07 pm 

Hi - I'm the proud owner of a new (used!) AB1-5. I'm not sure what strings it came with - I think they are probably Dingwall SS, but I'm not sure how to tell 100%.

My "standard" (parallel fret bass) strings are nickel medium gauge (50, 70, 85, 105, 135), so my first thought is to fit fresh strings of similar type from DW. However only one gauge "Medium Light" is offered. These are about 0.05" lighter across the board ...except the D, weirdly, which is 0.55" compared to my normal 0.70".

As everyone says, the fanned frets are no problem. However I do notice the skinny D.

So questions:

1) Why only one option, and why Med-Light? Is there a reason for this? Will I be better off going lighter for some reason?

2) If it's just a personal preference, is there a source for compatible medium gauge nickel strings?

3) What's the deal with the skinny D? What about getting a DW nickel set and traded the D for a 0.65"? Bad idea?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DW:Why only one guage choice? And what's up with the D?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 am 

As Sheldon says, they are optimised for 35lb of tension. You can get both medium and medium light fanned fret strings from Payson and do a truss rod tweak.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:33 am 

Thanks.

When you say "optimized for 35lbs", do you mean the bass is "tuned" somehow to respond best to that string tension? Or are you saying each string is 35lbs? (in which case, how come the D in every other "balanced" set is comparably fatter?)

Looking at Payson, rather than "medium" I see "reduced core" (130, 105, 85, 65, 45)
Anyone know what "reduced core" means? Larger string diameter at the same tension perhaps??

Any idea how the feel of these might compare to "traditional" mediums on a parallel fret (34") bass?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm 

I just ordered a custom set of strings from Kalium earlier this week. I ran each string through their chart and found the right gauge that would keep them all at about 35 pounds. I changed the length from each string accordingly (37", 36.25", 35.50", 34.75", 34".
I'm tuning mine to G# Standard.
So I'm looking at
G# .142 35.75lbs
C# .106 34.75lbs
F# .082 36.1lbs
B .063 36.5lbs
E .047 36.36lbs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 am 

mellobass wrote:
Thanks.

When you say "optimized for 35lbs", do you mean the bass is "tuned" somehow to respond best to that string tension? Or are you saying each string is 35lbs? (in which case, how come the D in every other "balanced" set is comparably fatter?)

You'll have to ask Sheldon that.

Quote:
Looking at Payson, rather than "medium" I see "reduced core" (130, 105, 85, 65, 45)
Anyone know what "reduced core" means? Larger string diameter at the same tension perhaps??

Any idea how the feel of these might compare to "traditional" mediums on a parallel fret (34") bass?

Wound strings have a core (the middle bit which is like a plain string) and a wrap. Reduced core likely means a smaller middle core bit, with a bigger wrap to make up for it. I'd guess that makes it more flexible. I don't know the effect on tensions but at a guess it probably lowers it for the same overall diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 am 

Thanks for the Kalium calculator tip, Acid666. Using regular B-G tuning and 35lbs in the chart gives really light gauges. Quite confusing!

I think I'll give the Payson "reduced core" a try. That seems to be the closest I've seen to what I'm looking for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:19 pm 

In case anyone is following this with a similar question, here's what Payson replied in response to the question "what does reduced core mean" via email:

Quote:
From what you described you want the PFNS-Reduced Core. What it does is balance out the tension to feel near what you're using on parallel fretted basses now.

The PFNS-Medium Light will have slightly less tension and a smaller outer wrap. The PFNS-RC's have a slightly larger outer wrap making it smoother. They have the most low mid growl.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:57 pm 

therealting wrote:
As Sheldon says, they are optimised for 35lb of tension. You can get both medium and medium light fanned fret strings from Payson and do a truss rod tweak.

You should not have adjust the truss rod with the Payson Fanned NS-Reduced Core sets. In this case Reduced Core = less tension than the originals. Very similar in tension to the Payson Fanned NS-Medium Lights, which are similar in gauge to the Dingwall nickels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 pm 

mellobass wrote:
Thanks.

Less tension in this case. Very close mellobass, I would say larger string diameter at very close to the same tension. More bass and low mid growl on the D and G strings without being overly firm.