It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:43 am 

Good point. I am not familiar with those though. How is the tension? I like the lighter tension of the DR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

chris.gotfunk wrote:
Good point. I am not familiar with those though. How is the tension? I like the lighter tension of the DR's.

Dingwall strings should have a lighter tension than the DRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:38 pm 

chris.gotfunk wrote:

If you're referring to DR LN's, they are a hex core taper wound so they will have more tension. The DR High Beams are almost the same string as Dingwall's, small round core string.

I would go with new Dingwall strings 1st, then LN's for 1st time DW players. I'd like to know about LN's on a Dingwall too so please post your review. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 am 

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
chris.gotfunk wrote:

That solves it right there. Thank you Sheldon!!!

Now for my next question, where is the best place to get strings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:56 am 

chris.gotfunk wrote:
Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
chris.gotfunk wrote:

That solves it right there. Thank you Sheldon!!!

Now for my next question, where is the best place to get strings?

Another vote for Sheldon's strings. I love them. I was an inveterate string tweaker. On my PDBs (Pre-Dingwall-Basses), Each bass takes a different set, guage, etc. For example, my 73P loves D'Addario XL light, MIA Jazz likes GHS steels, my PRS takes Rotos, etc...the list goes on. I personally don't like DR's on anything either guitar or bass.

I wouldn't think of another set for my Dingwalls though. I think the stock strings last long, sound great and I haven't had a set prone to failure yet since I bought my AB in 2005. I'm completely satisfied with their tone and just as important, their feel. I like the feel of a lively string, and I can't stand strings with high or 'hard' tension. DR's fit into this category for me, (beyond the weird tonal character of the strings) and this kills any interest I have in them. also, any fully flat sets I've tried have also been too high tension for any interest.

Another thing for me is that to switch sets would probably mean to also alter the nut on my bass. I'm not convinced that I can find someone reasonably local that I trust to do it absolutely correctly as the shop-crafted nut is. I may be weird about this, but I want the best setup at both ends of the string and I'm not willing to trust 'local' professionals with this job.

My choice for Dingwall strings is Jong @ JiveSound. Although I would also consider Bass Central or a few of the other vendors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm 

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Jong carried the strings. I guess I am an idiot because he carries the basses. I will hit him up for some strings.

Thanks again for the goods. I am picking my baby up tonight. I have a feeling I will be a total convert.

Peace,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Strings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm 

Hey Nick. Highbeams are the closet thing to being the exact same string as the stock Dingwall strings. Essentially they are the same string.[/quote]

Hi Funkshwey

They may appear so on paper but thats not my experience in the real world, after much experimentation my choice is to use 4 DR High Beam 30-90s on my AB1-5 with a DW B (as the AB set up doesnt seem to like non-tapered ball ends on the B). I used this set up on my SJ5 fretless too but I am currently experimenting with some DR Sunbeams (nickel) and so far I really like them, I will be trying some slightly heavier gauge (40, 60, 75, 95, 125) High beams on the SJ5 next to see what that is like (the non taper B seems OK on the SJ).

This is because: firstly I cant get the gauge I prefer from a DW string, second I find the DW strings don't last very long at all, I appreciate this may be because of the oil type/ sweat type I produce but there certainly is a very noticeable difference. Also, I just prefer the tone of the DRs and I really like the low tension of the round-cores. This thread is a perfect example of the potential downside of posing a preference type thread on a forum, as what you are going to get are OPINIONS and there is no right or wrong, just different. My advice to anyone wanting experiment is to do so at every opportunity you get, you may be very surprised at what you discover, and it will be personal to you and may not suit anyone else on the planet, but hey, that's all part of the joy of being a musician :D

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF
Zoom B3
@NicD_B

Last edited by Nic DB on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 pm 

I agree about asking opinions on forums sometimes, it can lead to a place where you couldn't predict.

On paper HB's and DW strings are basically the same, they are probably made in the same factory on the same winding machine.

I've tried the HB's on a 34" parallel fretted bass. The B string's taper went over the bridge PU and I couldn't even get it to make a note. That's probably why you're using a DW Bstring.

A .30 G on a 32" scale has got to be pretty slack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:05 pm 

Funkshwey wrote:

On paper HB's and DW strings are basically the same, they are probably made in the same factory on the same winding machine.

A .30 G on a 32" scale has got to be pretty slack.

Hi Funk

I thought GHS made DW strings? High Beams are made by DR in their own factory at Emerson, New Jersey and are constructed differently from GHS strings (they look and feel different). As far as I can tell (by asking) they don't make strings for anyone else. They also just won an award from Bass Player Magazine for the best Bass strings. I don't know if DW strings are round core or not, they don't feel like it to me. As for the .30 on a 32" scale, it is as smooth as silk and sweet as a lady :wink:

SJ5CE Fretless #4120
Markbass TA503
Markbass 102HF
Zoom B3
@NicD_B

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 pm 

Here's another set that fits the full-length Dingwall scale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:39 am 

These fit perfectly. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:55 pm 

Nice work Funk!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:57 pm 

Brim wrote:
Nice work Funk!!

I'm printing postage now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:47 am 

Looking fwd to getting mine. I must say that I like the Dingwall strings after they're dead and the nuclear sparkle is gone, but am not into them fresh out of the pack. I suspect Funk's nickel-wrapped set may be my ticket....

custom passive AB 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:28 pm 

I got mine today and strung them up on my ABI. The tension is a bit higher than the steels and the gages a little different so it took a little setup work to get them dialed in. However, it was well worth the effort. The feel is fantastic and the sound is rich and thick. I am curious to see how they age, but I am very optimistic.

My only other string encounter on this bass, besides the regular voodoos, was with Chromes. I am a P bass with flats guy at heart and loved the sound of the Chromes, but the feel IMO was completely wrong for this bass. These Nickles are the middle ground I was hoping for. A bit stiffer without being too stiff and a very even feel and output. For me, these feel more balanced than even the regular voodoos. Especially the G and D strings which always seemed a little wimpy on my bass with my touch. I am sure those of you with a lighter touch didn't have as much of an issue with this.

Great job Funk'. I am anxious to play them at rehearsal tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm 

Joe Smithebrger wrote:
I got mine today and strung them up on my ABI. The tension is a bit higher than the steels and the gages a little different so it took a little setup work to get them dialed in. However, it was well worth the effort. The feel is fantastic and the sound is rich and thick. I am curious to see how they age, but I am very optimistic.

My only other string encounter on this bass, besides the regular voodoos, was with Chromes. I am a P bass with flats guy at heart and loved the sound of the Chromes, but the feel IMO was completely wrong for this bass. These Nickles are the middle ground I was hoping for. A bit stiffer without being too stiff and a very even feel and output. For me, these feel more balanced than even the regular voodoos. Especially the G and D strings which always seemed a little wimpy on my bass with my touch. I am sure those of you with a lighter touch didn't have as much of an issue with this.

Great job Funk'. I am anxious to play them at rehearsal tomorrow.

Cool Joe, I'm so glad you like them. I just got another email saying basically the same thing.

The Fanned Nickels will settle in 10-14 days to feel just slightly firmer than a new set of Voodoo's and then basically stay that way. The Fanned Nickels have been on my '05 ABII-5 since Feb and have remained nice and firm to this day.

More in a little while. My daughter came home from the NICU on the same day the strings arrived so it was a challenge to be a good dad and a good on time shipper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:18 pm 

Got mine today and on they went. So far from what I've heard and felt unplugged they're nice. I like the black silks against my black headstock, but I'm wondering why they're uneven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 pm 

QUICK SETUP FOR FANNED NICKELS

After you take all the strings off:

(1) Tighten the Truss Rod 1/3 of a turn before you put the Nickels on.

(2) Lower the D saddle 1/4 turn.

(3) Lower the A and E saddles 1/2 turn.

This will get your action closer to a set up that will work when switching from Voodoo's to the Fanned Nickels. You may find that you need to tighten the TR another 1/4 turn. Once you find the sweet spot you'll know it.

On my '05 ABII-5 the strings settled in to the bottom of the nut slots on the D,A and E pretty quickly, took about a day. My '07 ABII-5 took about 3 days to settle to the bottom of the middle nut slots. Gently rocking the string back and forth at tension with both thumbs on either side of the nut on the string helps to settle them in too, if they need it.

If you put the Fanned Nickels on without any adjustments 1st the action will be high, but you can still get a quick feel for how the middle strings will sound. But I highly recommend doing the adjustments 1st. Cool

Here'a pic Lowphat of the last prototype set before the 1st production run. I had them extend the B windings about 1/4" if I remember correctly. I did this so if there was any drift in the production run it would still be enough to fully clear the nut. It would be bad to come this far and have sets with short B windings. We have plenty of those already. It looks like they slightly extended the E string silk higher too.

I did a quick test fit to see if everything was good and started shipping. Everyone was very patient through this process and I appreciate it. Thank you everyone.

Attachments:
La Bella FF Nickels Nut (Medium).jpg
La Bella FF Nickels Nut (Medium).jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 14150 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:15 pm 

Does anybody know if there is a black-coated set of strings that would fit an ABII out there? I don't know if the DR ones would fit and I tried contacting Black Diamond, but they never returned my inquiry. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 am 

RichC123 wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a black-coated set of strings that would fit an ABII out there? I don't know if the DR ones would fit and I tried contacting Black Diamond, but they never returned my inquiry. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Woah..Black Diamond's shop is in my town (Sarasota, FL). Never knew that. Sorry to derail the topic but I thought was pretty nifty. I'm gonna have to go in and have them look at my Dingwall to see what they can do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 pm 

Brim wrote:
RichC123 wrote:

Woah..Black Diamond's shop is in my town (Sarasota, FL). Never knew that. Sorry to derail the topic but I thought was pretty nifty. I'm gonna have to go in and have them look at my Dingwall to see what they can do.

Cool. Let me know what you find out. I really liked Black Diamond Strings on my normal scale basses. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 pm 

RichC123 wrote:
Brim wrote:
RichC123 wrote:

Cool. Let me know what you find out. I really liked Black Diamond Strings on my normal scale basses. Thanks.

Did anyone ever find out about black strings? I'm going to be picking up my first Dingwall (used AB1-5) soon, and I use DR Black Beauties on my other bass. I'd love black strings on my natural finish AB1 w/black hardware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 am 

No black strings? Surely there has got to be someone with black strings on their Dingwall bass... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 pm 

No black? Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm 

Not a Dingwall, but I was thinking when I put them on they MIGHT fit my AB1. DR coated blacks.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next