It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: String Manufacturers that fit Dingwall Basses
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:33 am 

Might have to get in touch. I recall them being pretty inexpensive too.

EA Wizzy 10 - Epifani UL310 MkI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 am 

I mentioned Newtone Strings back in 2012. Here on this forum. Now there's even a YT video sped up to show how they make the strings for a Dingwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEG3S_oC0c

Neil Silverman runs it these days. Mr Newton is retired I think. Well into his 80's perhaps. He does double ball end strings too for multiscale fan frets. However, they wont be cheap. Other string have great price/performace longevity. Remember when I paid 99 USD (139 CAD) for a 5 string set extra long Rotosound. The other day I ordered customized set from Rotosound, and got 3 sets for basically the same price. Including VAT and shipment.

One do really sense the marketing and ad and endorsement things with major manufacturers. Newtone have no flashy packaging or endorsment deals. Keeps the costs down, and thus, the price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 am 

Mats Eriksson wrote:
I mentioned Newtone Strings back in 2012. Here on this forum. Now there's even a YT video sped up to show how they make the strings for a Dingwall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEG3S_oC0c

Neil Silverman runs it these days. Mr Newton is retired I think. Well into his 80's perhaps. He does double ball end strings too for multiscale fan frets. However, they wont be cheap. Other string have great price/performace longevity. Remember when I paid 99 USD (139 CAD) for a 5 string set extra long Rotosound. The other day I ordered customized set from Rotosound, and got 3 sets for basically the same price. Including VAT and shipment.

One do really sense the marketing and ad and endorsement things with major manufacturers. Newtone have no flashy packaging or endorsment deals. Keeps the costs down, and thus, the price.

They're my strings!

Really pleased with them so far, need to tweak the gauges a little on a couple but they sound great with my Z2.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:43 am 

Great! I hope you didn't have to pay too much for them. Depending on where you live of course :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:51 am 

Mats Eriksson wrote:
Great! I hope you didn't have to pay too much for them. Depending on where you live of course :-)

Very reasonable considering they are fully made to my spec, a set of DR's would have cost me more here in the UK than what i paid for these.

24 hours from ordering they were made and delivered to my door too which was pretty impressive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 am 

Hmm...there you go! See there. "I told you so". :-) That's my experience too with them. And I live in Sweden...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:33 am 

I can vouch that the 40" winding La Bella flatwounds available at BassStringsOnline fit a Dingwall ABZ6. I've got a flatwound set on my ABZ now, and they sound and feel great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:09 am 

made a major typo in my post above which I can't edit anymore. It should say "ordered 3 sets from Newtone", not Rotosound. Major gaffe. Sorry. Newtone is the deal. Got them now on my headless bass and when put through a picky über-accurate strobe tuner (Peterson or TurboTuner) the are the only strings that will cage and lock in precisely at all frequencies. Open string, harmonics alike. All others have too much "new-string-harmonics" that will wreak havoc in any tuner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5